Saturday, May 20, 2017

Joann Sfar Missionnaire

Joann Sfar Missionnaire




Back from Vacation. Well, its been a while and I must say that it was a grand tour. Ill spill all the details on the specifics as we go, theres just too much to tell and theyre all battling for primacy in my brain. Lets just get started. Paris was our last stop and we stayed for five days. I got a map from Stuart Ng which shows all the bookstores along and around St. Germain. Of course I lost my mind at Album right away. Ive got a post on that alone. This is just about a moment there.



The french Album store (I wandered into the American one first, whipped around to the other corner for the local stuff) is two floors of bande dessinée heaven. I pigged out. After my book binge (more on that later) I picked up several magazines for good measure. This cover above appealed to me.



I flip through it, theres enough stuff here. I should pick this up, and oh, hey! Joann Sfar is featured. Maybe its about his movie. Hey, its his journal on his site, isnt it? At about this fraction of a second I notice the drawing on the periphery of my vision. I let out a yelp, "Hah!?"



There we were! That day that Joann visited us at Pixar we all gathered for a group photo and darn if that isnt our Sfar sketch versions up there. Were famous! Well, in my mind we are. After all, how often do you go to another country to find you are part of an article in a magazine there. Of course I couldnt brag to anyone nearby, my french is still at zero.

Okay, I cash out. I walk out and it would take another hour before I would realize that I bought a Sfar journal at Album as well. There were at least two of them that came out at the same time. I root around my stash and find the book, "Missionnaire." And sure enough there it is, a drawing of the Pixar gate, him posing with the Parr Family mannequins of the Incredibles...and there we are! Man, thats awesome.


"Missionary gathers the notebooks of voyage held by Joann Sfar during his stays in Tokyo in 2005 and the United States in 2006, as well as an anthology of watercolours drawn in Edinburgh and in Morocco."

On the bottom of the page he scribbles about a project that he and I had been keeping under our hats for a couple of years. It became apparent to both of us that I would not have time to execute these lovely pages. I never let on with anyone about it. So, on the following pages he discloses whats been on my hard drive for a while now. I hope to really work with Joann someday, maybe even get our Princess story out there together. Hey, you never know. Im on a lucky streak here.

Joan Sfar website
The Rabbis Cat at Amazon
Missionnaire at Amazon France




Available link for download